(Image via HomeGoods)
I have always preferred less clothing in my closet; quality over quantity. Unfortunately, last year I went a little crazy with the spending. Shopping became my outlet for stress and I ended up buying a lot of stuff that I didn’t need. I am now in the process of reassessing my wardrobe and paring it down.
I’m definitely not an impulse buyer, but sometimes I still buy things that I don’t love or use. What I enjoy most about fashion is using what you already have and incorporating some new items while finding creative ways to re-wear what you already own. You’d be surprise by the outfit combinations you can come up with when you have a limited selection. Having only the best items will save you time and eliminate the age old “I have nothing to wear”.
With that said here are seven tips for organizing your closet:
- Clear out your closet and begin with a blank canvas. Try on everything and throw out items that you don’t love.
- Make piles for donations, stuff to sell, and another for repairs and dry cleaning.
- Move all off season clothing to another closet or store under the bed. I use containers similar to these to store my clothing and keep dust free.
- List your clothes on online consignment shops. I sell my stuff to ThredUp and TheRealReal.
- Sell your stuff on Ebay. If you don’t mind the leg work of photography, creating listings, shipping costs, payment fees, and driving to the post office, Ebay is another good option. However, I much prefer leaving that work to the online resellers.
- Donate your items.
- Sell or trade to your friends. It’s much easier to part with something when you know it’s going to a good home.
Use the below tips to guide you:
(Image via: Popsugar)
Now make room for the new!
For more inspiration check out Un-fancy, where Caroline shares tips and tools on how to create a 37 piece capsule wardrobe. Her blog is really inspiring and her minimal aesthetic is amazing. Enjoy! You’ll thank me later.
Thank you so much for such good information regarding wardrobe clean up.I am inspired to get my closet organized and rid myself of items I don’t use or need.Love your blog and look forward to new post.