Today I am going to share some of the changes I have made to transition to a plant based diet, along with a smoothie recipe. Since I am lactose intolerant, eliminating dairy seemed like the easiest thing to start with.
- Dairy is Not Your Friend – In the past, I would occasionally eat cheese or have cream in my coffee. I’ve subbed the cream for almond milk.
- Say No to Eggs – I used to eat eggs every day for breakfast. This change wasn’t half bad since I now get my protein fix from plant based smoothies (see recipe below).
- Goodbye Red Meat – I enjoy eating meat, but it’s not a must-have. I have eliminated red meat from my diet but still continue to eat chicken.
- Sweet Treats – instead of doing store-bought treats, I opted to make my own. Making desserts at home is easy and delicious. I have made these No Bake Flax Energy Bites and the No Bake Muesli Nut Bars. Both recipes take very little time to prepare.
Since I’m no longer eating eggs, I needed a solid breakfast option. Everything I read suggested a smoothie. I did a search to find the perfect smoothie and found this article.
- 1 banana
- 2 small handfuls of frozen fruits (e.g., strawberry, pineapple, raspberries, blueberries)
- 1 scoop of plant protein powder (I use PlantFusion in Vanilla Bean)
- 2 tablespoons of flax meal
- 1 tablespoon of chia seed
- 1 tablespoon of almond butter
- 1 tablespoon of flaxseed oil
- 10 oz of almond milk
- 2 large handful of greens (e.g., spinach, kale, or both)
If I want to change things up, I swap it out for a piece of Ezekiel bread with almond butter and Chia Strawberry Fruit Spread.
If you missed the first plant based post be sure to check out Starting a Plant Based Diet.